Wednesday, July 3, 2013

FIGHTING TEMPTATION

 
FIGHTING TEMPTATION
 
 
(I Cor. 10:13) "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

           Whenever we go shopping at grocery stores, a lot of us are lured to certain items due to their smells or their appeal to the human eye. Commercials are also contributing factors when we choose to select or try a new product advertised. A few days ago, we were shopping for healthy foods (fruits and veggies) and for some reason, I was drawn to the pastry/dessert aisle. They had tempting, delicious decorated pies, cakes, pastries, cookies, cheesecakes and my biggest tempter: BROWNIES! I was tempted by what my eyes saw and what my taste buds craved at the moment! Then, I thought to myself, "Why are you looking at these loaded calories that you don't need knowing you have changed your eating habits to include more fruit and veggies? I quickly turned away and pushed my cart to the checkout. Just that quick, I was tempted. I made the decision to say "No" and get away from what was tempting me. After considering the cost I would have paid for something that wouldn't have been a healthy choice for me, I soon forgot about the brownies. Kudos Alesia!

           Temptation always begin with a thought! The quickest way to allure is to turn your attention to something else. Don't fight the thought, just change the channel of your mind and thinking and put your interest elsewhere. If you allow your mind to dwell on it, it will overtake you. Ignoring a temptation is far more effective than fighting it. Once your mind is on something else, the temptation loses its power. So when temptation calls you on the phone, don't argue with it, just hang up. Do you remember Joseph when he was in Potipher's house serving him with all his might? Do you remember Potipher's wife trying to seduce and tempt him to sleep with her? Joseph did what was necessary to avoid the temptation - He ran from his tempter and the temptation! Being tempted is common or natural. Yielding to the temptation is when it becomes sin. Avoid temptation and you will rid yourself out of a lot of trouble and consequences. Run - Run- Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment