Monday, June 17, 2013

A PENNY'S WORTH
 
 
(Zech. 4:10a) “For who hath despised the day of small things?”
(Luke 15:4, 6b) “What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it. Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.”
(Luke 21:2,3) “And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites (copper coins). And he said, of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all.”

While out doing my walking recently, I noticed a shiny object on the pavement. As I drew nearer, it was a shiny, new penny. As I walked a bit farther, there appeared another penny similar to the last one. Did I walk by and leave it where it laid? No, I picked them both up and continued walking. As I walked, I thought to myself, “How many people had walked by these same two pennies and left them there?” Some may have felt that their value was not worth the trouble of picking them up. Some may have passed by thinking two cents wouldn’t make a difference in their finances. I wonder how many would have walked by if it were a nickel, dime, quarter or a huge bill instead of the pennies? There used to be and still is a saying which states, “Pennies makes dollars.” Even though a penny is only worth one cent, when you collect a lot of them, the amount adds up to dollars. For one thing, copper is a valuable and useful metal.
Can you imagine us being those pennies lying on the road with people passing by as if we were not worth the trouble of picking up? Can you imagine how Jesus forsook his royalty in heaven and saw value in us that he gave his life for us? When others ignored us, counted us out, felt we were not worth salvaging, Jesus saw the value in us. He saw worth in us and saved us. Not sure what many of you do with your pennies, but if you save them, they will soon develop into much. Change does matter! We mattered to Jesus. Don’t ever think that your life or what you do has no value. The parable Jesus used about the lost sheep shows how he valued the one more than the 99 he already had. Jesus cared more for the one than the many. You are valuable to God and to His kingdom work. Don’t compare who you are or what you do as not being worthwhile or valuable to God. God sees what man doesn’t see. Who you are in Him, your love for Him, obedience to Him and service to Him is what counts the most in His eyes and not in man’s eyes. You are valuable to God! PENNY-WORTH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment