Thursday, June 27, 2013

TOO ATTACHED TO DETACH?
 
(Matt. 19:20-22) "The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor,and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
(Matt. 6:19-20a,21) "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But rather lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

          We all have become accustomed to having our phones or Ipads with us everywhere we go. It's wireless and it's convenient. A lot of our communication, business transactions and important information is at our fingertips. In a sense, if we think about it, our cells are very valuable and precious to us. We can say, they could be considered as a treasure to us. I've misplaced my cellphones several times and experienced a great loss because I had attached myself to this little 5 or 6 inch electronic device. I felt a sense of loss after I no longer had it in my possession. Even though I needed my phone, I realized that it could be replaced. It could have been my life instead of my phone. We can become so attached that it's difficult to detach.  

           When something is very precious and valuable to you, it may be difficult to let it go or detach from it. There is a type of attachment involved in which it's difficult to part from it. It becomes something you get used to having with you. The young man in the scripture wanted the things Jesus had to offer but he was not willing to let go (detach) of his treasures (attachments) in order to follow Jesus. He had kept the commandments since he was a child. Sadly, he was attached to his "things" or treasures that he was not willing to give them up (detach) for the greatest treasure of all! How can one lose with what Christ has to offer? Many are doing the same thing today. The enemy has blinded many people eyes thinking that having riches, fame, prestige and wealth in any form can bring them happiness, fulfillment and all they need. Whatever your heart is attached to, it can control you in a lot of ways. These things can perish, rust away and even be taken away from us. Let us not get so attached to "things" or "treasures" that our heart forget the most important things we should follow after to possess and this is Christ. TOO ATTACHED TO DETACH?

               

No comments:

Post a Comment